Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

(intermission?)

So, I didn't write any actualy poetry, because I had a poetic experience that I just couldn't translate & I wanted to share it with you.

So, I had the sudden impulse to climb onto my roof the other night. I do this regularly during the day, but never at night (that's when the mosquitoes really come out). Once I'm out there, I don't feel content to sit on the lower roof- I feel compelled to climb on to the next roof level. So I do. Now here I am, laying on the highest part of my house, and I decide on my own to watch for a shooting star. There are a few personal reasons behind it, but we'll just leave those out. I don't see any shooting stars because I'm so near the city, and I'm feeling pretty sad about it, when I see the North Star/ Dog Star. I kinda just stare at it for a while, and this HUGE thought dawns on me.
Shooting stars light up the world only momentarily, and while they are beautiful, they are only temporary. The North Star, in comparison, gives off a steady and reliable brilliance. The North Star has been used to help people find where they are, and lead them to safety. You can't do that with shooting stars.
I thought to myself, I am looking into the eye of God.
In life, we may have things we treasure; friends, significant others, family, your favorite outfit, a car or camera or computer, etc. The thing is, we can't take those things with us when we die. They are only temporary flashes of happiness in our lives. On the other hand, God is with us always, and if you think about it, more than always. He knew us before we knew ourselves, and when we are brought back to life through His love, it will be to spend eternity with Him.
I gave myself some time for it all to sink in, and realized that I no longer felt the need to be on my roof at an unreasonable time of night. So I climbed through the window into my room, and sat there while I came to the conclusion that Someone had sent me on to that roof, maybe just to have that epiphany.


It was a beautiful thought, and I just wanted to share it with you.

No comments: