Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hopeless

I didn't want to keep hoping, because the last time I reached for the stars they reached back and burned me. Now I'd much rather sit and nurse crispy fingertips until they are cool enough to use, back to normal temperature and feeling brand new. We can still have fun with our feet on the ground, and if you squint your eyes just right the fireflies become stars all around us (only these ones won't hurt if you hold them in your hands). But when I sat back in the grass and looked past their blinking lights, and the sky was black and covered with clouds, it was all I could do not to sigh and hope for someone I knew. I stopped myself before the wish was fully formed, and used my useless hands to keep my cold body warm.



This is me trying my hand at that weird style of prosetry that I love to read.

I think I may be better at reading it than writing it...

1 comment:

Sorcha G. Dubhsioc said...

:D *smiles* I met people the other day who said they'd never seen a firefly before. It was too weird!